Lodi Township

Lodi Township is located in Washtenaw County, Michigan, just southwest of Ann Arbor. Established in 1834, three years before Michigan became a state, it was named after the Town of Lodi near New York State’s Finger Lakes.


Building in Lodi Township

Thinking of building or remodeling?

Township zoning compliance is required before Washtenaw County Building Department (WCBD) will issue a building permit. To receive township zoning compliance you will need:

  • An approved driveway permit from Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) 761-1500.
  • A grading waiver/permit from Washtenaw County Soil Erosion & Sediment Control (WCSESC) 222-3900.
  • 3 copies of blueprints for project and 3 copies of site plan. Site plan needs to show the location of the project on the parcel and indicate the distance from the structure to all property lines. As well as placement of septic and well.
  • Set up a meeting with township zoning inspector (Bill Lindemann) for township approval. Call the zoning inspector, Bill Lindemann, at (cell) 734-320-4421 for an appointment. There will be a $25 charge for issuing an address and $50 charge for zoning compliance.

Plan Review

Submit the following to the Building Department:

  • Zoning Compliance Permit: This permit, including your property identification number from your tax statement, tells the Building Department that the location and use of your construction project has been approved by your township or village. It is not a permit to build. It is not an approval of your plans.
  • Two sets of plans signed and/or stamped by the Zoning Official: All plans must be drawn to scale, and must show footings, elevations, cross-sectional views, location of doors and windows, structural elements, and enough plan views to show what is being constructed (including floor plans). Before and after floor plans are also required for fire repairs, remodels or alterations to existing residential or commercial buildings. Plans must show dimensions and lumber sizes, spans and intervals. Lists of building materials and specifications will not be accepted in lieu of plans. Drawings that do not show lumber sizes and dimensions will not be accepted as plans.
  • Environmental Health Approval: Washtenaw County Environmental Health Division requires a Water Supply and/or Sewage Disposal Permit. Approval is either a permit or an addition review to approve the type of sewage disposal and/or water supply you plan to use. It is not a plumbing permit or sewer permit. It may be required for non-habitable construction, such as a garage or a deck. It is always required for habitable construction. For complete information, call Environmental Health at 734-222-3800.
  • Two complete site plans: Two site plans clearly indicating all structures, any setback, any new structures and any additions, location of well(s), drainfield(s), and drainfield expansion area(s), if applicable. Site Plans must show elevation markings, and where the water runoff will go. Site plans must be scaled at 1 inch equals 40 feet or larger.
  • Application for Building Permit (PDF): You must include the address where the construction will take place. A lot number is not sufficient. Specific directions to the site must be included. Note: The person who is applying for the permit must appear in person, or have a letter of authorization or power of attorney from the owner.
  • Revision Fees: If plan revisions are necessary, the same fees will be charged a second time, as applicable.

Additional Requirements

Other requirements, as applicable:

  • Architect Seal and Signature – Required for residential construction with building area in excess of 3,500 square feet.
  • Construction Classification and Use Group – Required to be shown on commercial plans.
  • Contractor’s License – Licensed contractors must bring their licenses and register them with Building Inspection (both company and individual if under a business name),. If a homeowner is doing the work, a homeowner affidavit must be submitted.
  • Occupant Load – For commercial plans where applicable.
  • Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit – If you are building within 500 feet of surface water (lakes, ponds, streams, drains, wetlands) and disturbing 225 square feet or more OR if you are disturbing more than one acre of land, you must have this permit. Earth changes less than 225 square feet in total earth disturbance may be eligible for a waiver. Contact the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control program at 734-222-6860.
  • Structural Design Loads and Calculations – For all commercial plans.
  • Washtenaw County Road Commission Approval/Waiver – If a new driveway will be installed.


Plan Review Type Fee
Residential construction with construction costs under $20,000 $35
Residential construction with construction costs $20,000 or over $75 per hour
Commercial Plan Review $75 per hour

Storage Building Permits

Washtenaw County Building Department now requires a building permit for any structure over 200 square feet.

Township Setback Requirements

Agricultural zoned parcels (normally 2 acres NET (exclusive of the road right of way).

  • 100′ setback from center of the road
  • 50′ setback from the rear property line
  • 30′ setback from the side property line

R1 zoned parcels (normally subdivision lot or 1 acre in a more dense area)

  • 100′ setback from center of the road
  • 35′ setback from the rear property line
  • 25′ setback from the side property line



1. Who needs a permit?
Any individual or firm that will engage in the construction or alteration of any residential or commercial structure needs a permit. Permits are typically required for the following:

  • Accessory Buildings
  • Additions
  • Alterations/Renovations
  • Decks
  • Demolition
  • Electrical Systems
  • Manufactured Homes
  • Mechanical Systems (HVAC Systems – heating, cooling, air conditioning)
  • New Buildings
  • Plumbing Systems
  • Prefabricated Structures (storage buildings)
  • Swimming Pools / Hot Tubs

Projects that do not require a permit:

  • One story detached accessory structures (sheds, etc.), if the floor does not exceed 200 square feet
  • A fence less than 6 feet high
2. What type of permit do I need?
There are five different types of permits:

  • Building Permit – This permit is for the actual physical construction of the project. Building Inspections are required for this permit.
  • Electrical Permit – This permit is for all electrical work for the project. Electrical Inspections are required for this permit.
  • Low-Voltage Permit – This permit is for low-voltage electrical installations.
  • Mechanical Permit – This permit is for the HVAC (heating, cooling, air conditioning) systems. Mechanical Inspections are required for this permit.
  • Plumbing Permit – This permit is for all plumbing, including water supply wastewater lines. Plumbing Inspections are required for this permit.
3. How do I apply for a permit?
You generally apply for your permits when you submit your plans for Plan Review.
4. Why are permits necessary?
Permits allow the enforcement of the State Construction Code Act, which has been adopted by law. This provides the means for Building Officials to protect us by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction, therefore protecting the public health, safety and welfare. Before any construction or remodeling work begins, application for a permit must be made. Permits provide the means for Building Inspectors to inspect construction to ensure that minimum standards are met and appropriate materials are used. The unit of government which enforces the code is acting to assure safe construction.

Building Officials and inspectors use permits as a vital step in their enforcement of codes. You have an investment in the home or business you are about to build or remodel. When that home or business building does not comply with the codes, your investment could be reduced. Applying for a permit notifies the Building Official that you are constructing or remodeling a building so he or she can ensure code compliance.

5. Are there other agencies I may need to contact?
Obtaining a permit is a relatively simple process. If you are building a new structure or an addition to an existing structure you may need permits or waivers from:

Join the Lodi Township Email List

Keep in touch by joining our email list! It will be used for periodic mailings (like our newsletter) and occasional announcements. This list is for internal use only, and will not be shared with other organizations.

3 + 5 =

Important Announcements

Planning Commission Zoning Ordinance Committee Meeting

The Planning Commission Zoning Ordinance Committee will meet at the Township Hall on Wednesday August 8, 2018, at 2:00 PM. The Committee will review the Planning consultant’s revisions to Article 54 of the draft Zoning Ordinance.

Zeeb Road Paving

The Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) is excited to announce an additional project tentatively planned during the 2018/2019 construction season on Zeeb Road in Lodi Township. More details.

Saline Area Burn Permits

The Saline Area Fire Department requests that residents in York Township, Saline Township and Lodi Township serviced by this department call the department at 429-4440 and follow the prompts for a Burn Permit if you intend to burn. There is no fee for the permit. By reporting this to the Saline Area Fire Department, it MAY prevent an unnecessary fire run and cost to you.

News & Events

Road Work Advisory - Ann Arbor-Saline Road 

August 7, 2018 Primary Election

The August 7, 2018 Primary Election will be held at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds located at 5055 Pleasant Lake Road, Ann Arbor, 48103.  Voting hours are 7am-8pm.  Please remember to bring your ID.  Questions, please contact the office at 734.665.7583.  The office is open until 4pm on Monday for Absentee Voting, ballots cannot leave the office today.

From the Sheriffs's Office: Identity Fraud / Mail Theft Incidents

The Washtenaw County Sheriff’s office has issued the following warning: The information below explains the warning and provides actions you can take to protect your family and yourself. Residents in Scio and Lodi Township neighborhoods have been the victims of identity fraud and mail theft incidents. The neighborhoods that have been hit in Scio thus far are High Hollow, Sandy Creek, Malena, Trillium Crossing and Greenook in Loch Alpine. All of the incidents that have occurred are within neighborhoods where the mailboxes are grouped together. Most of those neighborhoods have open mailboxes - where anyone could go through them. Personal information was obtained from all of the victim’s. Social security numbers were obtained to apply for several different credit cards online. Most of the credit cards applied for were through Fidelity. Others applied for were Ally, Elan, Capitol One, American Express and Fifth Third. The cards were then mailed to the victim’s residence. Some of the victim’s received the cards prior to the suspect’s taking them from their mailbox and others the suspects were able to retrieve the new cards prior to the victim’s having any knowledge of the accounts being opened. The suspects were then using the new credit cards at various Best Buy’s and Walmart’s throughout the state to make purchases of Apple watches, IPads and gift cards. A majority of the victim’s found out that their residence had been signed up for Informed Delivery through the US Postal Service. This is a program that every home can be registered for (only one occupant of the home can register). You will receive a daily email from the Post Office with photographs of the mail you will be receiving that day. The suspects were signing the victim’s residence up for Informed Delivery and receiving the email notifications showing when the newly obtained credit cards would be arriving. The suspects would then retrieve the mail from the mailboxes the day the credit cards were being delivered. You can sign up for Informed Delivery at this website: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action Some important points to consider. Sign yourself up for one of the credit apps; Credit Sesame, Credit Karma, etc., to monitor any activity on your credit account. These are apps you can install on your smart phone and check daily. You can see if there have been any hard inquiries on your credit for openings of new accounts. Put a flag on your account to be notified prior to any new accounts being opened. If you’ve been a victim of an identity theft or fraud, get a copy of the police report and send it to one of the three credit bureaus to have 7 year fraud protection which will not allow any new accounts to be opened without being contacted first. If you find that someone obtained a fraudulent credit card in your name here are some important things to do and/ask:

  • Cancel the card immediately
  • Ask if the card has been used. If it’s been used find out date/time, store location, amounts, items purchased
  • How was the credit card opened (online?)
  • IP address used to apply for the credit card
  • Time of the IP address submission

Video or Cable Television Issues?

The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) is responsible for the implementation and oversight of Public Act 480 of 2006. Section 10 of the Act provides a video/cable dispute resolution process at the MPSC to be used by customers, providers and franchise entities. This dispute resolution process allows customers who are unable to resolve their video/cable television complaints with their provider to file a complaint with MPSC. The video/cable web page can be found here. The webpage includes information such as the complaint process, the Act, a current listing of active video/cable providers in Michigan, information for franchise entities, as well as other important information.

NEW!  Washtenaw County Fix It Program

The Washtenaw County Road Commission has launched “WCRC Fix It” an online platform that allows residents to report non-emergency issues online and via a mobile app available in the Apple iTunes & Google Play stores. The WCRC Fix It platform is to be used for non-emergency road issues. WCRC will check and respond to service requests submitted via WCRC Fix It during business hours. If you need to report an emergency or potentially hazardous road issue, we encourage them to call the Road Commission immediately at (734) 761-1500.